The 2nd subway line
The second line of the St. Petersburg metro was opened in 1961.
Concerning architectural beauty, the second line of the subway has nothing outstanding to show. Most of its stations was built in Khrushchev’s time to reduce the cost of construction and architectural expenses, so typical plan of those stations was a short central hall, tiles on the walls, almost no sculptural decorations. The station type “horizontal lift” (“Park Pobedy”) appeared there for the first time of the world history. Also this subway line was the first in the USSR (in 1965) to get a system of automatic driving – automatic control of trains without drivers.
The station is located in the Sennaya Square (which could be translated as Haymarket area), from which it inherited its name. It’s former name is a “Square of Peace”.
“Sennaya Ploshad’” – is a subway station located on the 2nd line between the stations “Technologeskiy Institute” and “Nevsky Prospect”. It was opened on the 1st of July 1963 as part of the section “Technologeskiy Institute ” – “Petrogradskaya.”
Station looks in a simple way, pylons are covered with marble, track walls have blue ceramic tiles (the color of the peace). Lamps illuminating the central hall and platforms, are hidden behind cornices of gratings.
At the southern end of the station there is a transition to the station “Spasskaya”. The end face at transition is decorated by inscription: 1703 Санкт-Петербург 1914 Петроград 1924 Ленинград 1991 Санкт-Петербург (1703 St. Petersburg 1914 Petrograd 1924 Leningrad 1991 St. Petersburg) symbolizing the renaming of the city. Under the inscription there is a panel with three columns: Ionic on the left, Doric in the center and Corinthian on the right, symbolizing three various architectural styles.
In the middle of the station there is one more transition – to the 5th line, “Sadovaya” station.
– you can see the information in this article.
“Frunzenskaya” is a station of pylon type located between stations “Moscovskiye Vorota” and “Technologeskiy Institute”. It was opened in 1961 as part of the first section of 2nd line.
The station is named in honor of revolutionary, Soviet statesman and military leader Mikhail Frunze.
End of the central hall is decorated with bas-relief of aluminum and red glazes, depicting Comrade Frunze on horseback, surrounded by Red Army men and against battle flags.
The platform hall is simple: the poles revetted with white marble expand upward, the travel walls are covered with a tile, later replaced by marble.
The station is located on Moskovsky Prospect in place of its confluence with the Ligovsky Prospect, near Moscow Triumphal Gate, from which it derives its name. This is the pylon type of station.
At the end of the central hall there is a sculptural work, a similar set to Moscow Triumphal Gate.
“Electrosila” is a pylon station of deep location, opened in 1961. The theme of the interior station is energy development in the Soviet Union. Named due to the proximity to one of the largest national electromechanical engineering enterprise – ” Electrosila”.
Hall station is located on Moscow avenue, at the beginning of the street Reshetnikov. Pavilion is constructed on a standard project (similar to pavilions stations of “Park Pobedy”, “Frunzenskaya”, “Gorkovskaya”) and looks as a squat building of spherical shape with a dome and glazed entrances, resembling a kiosk.
“Electrosila” – the station of deep location pylon type with a short central nave (hall) (≈ 35 m depth). The station completes a series of seven consecutive pylon stations on the second line.
Theme decorating station is devoted to energy development in USSR (State plan Electrification of Russia – GOELRO). End of the central hall is decorated with ceramic panel “Electrification of the USSR”. In the southwest schematic tile there are the words of Lenin: “Communism is Soviet power plus the electrification of the whole country”.
Graphically clearly traced rectangular apertures between the central hall and platform give the station a kind of “machine” features. There are unusual lamps in the form of compact, geometrized form blocks placed in apertures.
Take note: some of the stations of the line are unusual for use, check the information on the sections about the subways.
The 3rd subway line
The third line of the St. Petersburg metro was opened in 1961.
Concerning architectural beauty, this is the least outstanding line of Petersburg subway. This is the line of St. Petersburg subway with the longest transhumance (the length between the stations “Ploshad’ Alexandra Nevskogo” and “Elizarovskaya” is 4.7 km – this is the longest distance between stations in Russia).
Mayakovskaya is a station of “horizontal lift” type. It is located between stations “Gostiniy Dvor” and ” Ploshad’ Alexandra Nevskogo “. Ground station lobby is located on the corner of Nevsky Prospekt and Marata street, across Mayakovskaya street. The station operates since 1967.
The only thing that distinguishes it from other stations of this type – it is the structure of the walls and color. The walls of the station are decorated as a vertical ladder. The walls of the station are lined with smalt intense red tones. In the end of the hall walls there is a portrait of the poet, executed in mosaic in the acute graphic manner.
In the ground lobby in front of the escalator hall there is an art composition, dedicated to Vladimir Mayakovsky (made of copper). At the part of the ground lobby that is facing Nevsky Prospekt there is the image of the poet and poetry:
HAMMER AND VERSE,
The earth of young!
THAT WILL BE!
The height of the letters is 80 mm, the width is 20 mm.
Take note – when hearing the name of the station, you will know that there is a transition to the trains of the 1st line, but you will never hear that from Mayakovskaya platform you can get to the train “Moskovsky Station.” (take into consideration that information while reading about the 1st subway line)
Lomonosovskaya – the station of “horizontal lift” type, completes a series of six consecutive stations of the same “horizontal lift” type, (from the station Vasileoostrovskaya). It is located between the stations “Elizarovskaya” and “Proletarskaya”.
The station was opened on the 21st of December1970 year as a part of the line “Ploshad’ Alexandra Nevskogo” – “Lomonosovskaya”. It was named due to its location near Porcelain Factory, founded with the participation of Lomonosov, at the time of opening the station the factory was called “Lomonosov Porcelain Factory.”
The lobby is located on a small hill. Hall station is located in the park, which was the former site of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky cemetery.
The design of platform hall has calm, “porcelain” color and unusual architectural forms with the walls tilt inside the hall. Above each door niche there is a brass inscription “Lomonosov”. End wall of white marble is decorated with bronze bas relief dedicated to Mikhail Lomonosov.
The 4th subway line
Ploshchad Aleksandra Nevskogo-2
“Ploshchad Aleksandra Nevskogo-2″ – this is the first station, which began the history of line of the 4th line in 1985, it is located at the end of Nevsky Prospekt, near the Alexander Nevsky Square and the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. The lobby is decorated with mosaics “Battle on the Ice” (that was a battle between the Republic of Novgorod and the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Knights (whose army consisted mostly of Estonians) on the 5th of April, 1242, at Lake Peipus. Russian 20- year-old Prince Alexander Nevsky triumphed in that battle and became a hero, the Square has his name).
It is a column station of deep location. Decoration of the track walls is created in the form of golden armor, which should resemble the exploits of the great Russian generals. Columns are covered by white marble.
Additional information: be sure to walk to the middle of the transition and look at the bas-relief, popularly known as “five men on four horses” – no one can explain how can five knights ride four horses!
Do not forget to check the list of special stations of St. Petersburg subway.