Petersburg subway. The 1-st line

The first 8 stations are officially listed in the state register of cultural heritage objects of regional significance. The stations are listed below according to the  advised order of viewing.

  1. Avtovo
  2. Kirovskiy zavod
  3. Narvskaya
  4. Baltiyskaya
  5. Technologeskiy Institute
  6. Pushkinskaya
  7. Vladimirskaya
  8. Ploshad’ Vosstaniya

Avtovo

“Avtovo” is located between the stations “”Leninsky Prospekt” and “Kirovskiy zavod “. The station was named due to the location in historic place called Avtovo.

Unbelievable subway station, mentioned in the list of regional heritage.
Unbelievable subway station, mentioned in the list of regional heritage.

It is famous  for its columns with decorative glass, a special cut of which, thanks to the refraction of the light beam, creates an unusual glow effect  of columns from inside.

The station was opened on the 15th of November1955 year as a part of the initial line of the subway “Avtovo” – “Ploshad Vosstaniya”, and  the first train that arrived to Leningrad subway came there.

Land constructions old-postcard-with-avtovo

Pavilion of station is decorated by twin six-columned portico and a dome.

The base of the dome has the following words: “Glory for centuries to brave defenders of Leningrad, who defend the city-hero in the battles”. The facades of pavilion are decorated by panels “Defense of Petrograd in 1919″ and “the defense of Leningrad in 1941-1943.”

There is also a panel “Defenders of Leningrad” in pavilion .

Underground constructions

“Avtovo” – Shallow column station, so-called “Moscow style” (the depth is just 12 m). It was the first shallow station in the line.

The defense of Leningrad is also a theme of underground part of Mosaics-avtovo-stationstation. Chandeliers, lamps, ornaments of lattices are decorated with laurel branches, gilded swords and other emblems of military valor. The face wall of the central underground hall is decorated by the mosaic panel “Victory”, depicting a woman with a baby, symbolizing peace.

Flat ceiling of the hall is held by 46 columns. Not all columnAvtovo with a trains are round: there are two square columns at the entrance to the station. 30 columns  are lined with marble, and 16 – with decorative plates of molded glass with a reflux relief (due to lack of funds not all the The glass of Avtovo stationcolumns were covered with glass). For prevention of cracking of glass at an immersion of concrete columns supporting structures, glass panels were fixed by a decorative metal strip wrapped around the column. The internal surface of glass panels had a cut relief, with a corner of sides of 80 degrees. Due to such a cutting the optical effect is created — light is reflected from sides before it reaches concrete, and transparent glass ceases to shine through. Therefore support structures are not visible under the glass and all columns appear to be glass monoliths.

Achieving that effect was quite difficult, since the faces had to be placed at a certain angle (80 degrees). Big help in creation of such a station was given by scientists, especially the famous connoisseur of art glass, corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences N.N. Katchalov. The board of Avtovo

The station still keeps the board, which shows whether the train goes farther or leaves the depot.

 Features of the station:
  • Glass has long been used as a cladding material, but it was used for the first time for decoration of the subway station.
  • “Avtovo” became the first station of the Leningrad underground without escalators.To the top

Kirovskiy zavod

“Kirovskiy zavod” is a deep column station of St. Petersburg subway. Located between the stations “Narvskaya” and “Avtovo.”

The station was opened on the 15th of November1955 year as a part of the initial line of the subway “Avtovo” – “Ploshad Vosstaniya”. It was named due to the proximity of the territory of Kirov factory.

Land constructionsKirovsky-zavod-2

The pavilion is made in the typical for that time classic style, its shape is resembling an ancient Greek temple, which has a wide granite staircase. The rectangle of the building is formed by 44 Doric columns with flutes.

Underground constructions

Theme of station – the development of socialist industry.

Underground station hall is lined with smokirovsky-zavodky-gray Caucasian marble. 31 pairs of columns arranged in two long rows and connected  by flat arches, organize prospect of stati ons. The top of each column is decorated with cast aluminum with high- relikirovsky-zavod4efs with industrial emblems. Chasing and partial polishing of high-reliefs make impression of silver appearance. 32 pairs of cartouches (the first from an entrance on station is eskirovsky-zavod5tablished on the edge of a wall) are devoted to four bases of the heavy industry: electrification, coal, oil and metallurgical industry. Under high-reliefs it was planned to post marble boards with letters of Leningrad residents to “the father of nations” Stalin.

kirovsky-zavod2

For the first time in the history of St. Petersburg subway they used “luverly lighting” for decoration of an underground station. The grummet represents the pass-through lattice consisting of strips of organic glass. Thekirovsky-zavod1re are the lamps of “daylight” behind it at a certain distance, and the light passing through square openings of a lattice, creates smooth, calm lighting. The soft, diffused light streams from above, from the square light plafonds which are cut through in a ceiling. That creates the illusion that there is an open sky above, behind the arches. kirovsky-zavod7kirovsky-zavod6

The ceiling of the central hall is decorated with a stucco molding. It has the letter “K” surrounded by wreaths of leaves and a star. In 2005 Lenin’s bust was opened after long restoration and placed kirovsky-zavod3at a face wall of the central hall.  There is “path” to the bust made of claret granite with the black-and-white edging conducts.

The station also has a door with the of opening the line-1955.To the top

Narvskaya

” Narvskaya” is a deep pylon station of Petersburg subway. It is located between the stations “Baltiyskaya” and “Kirovskiy Zavod”.

The station was opened on the 15th of November 1955 as part of the initial line of the subway “Avtovo” – ” Ploshad Vosstaniya.” It was named due to the location in the historic district of Narva Gate. The pavilion is located on the Stachek (Strikes) Square (Narva are in the past) where the Narva Triumphal Gate stands.

Land constructions

Over the course of escalator there is an installed panel “Glory to labor!”. The group of workers, military, women and children that gathered for a rally on Lenin square looks into the empty center of high-relief. Most likely, the original figure in the center had to be Stalin.

Underground constructions

Theme of station – labor valor of the Soviet people. Station

On a face wall of the central underground hall originally there was a big mosaic panel “Stalin on a Tribune”. In 1961, after the XXII Congress of the CPSU, the panel was closed by a marble trim wall. In the fenced off area  there was hosted a conference room, later it was converted into linear point of drivers of “Avtovo” depot, which is still there. This mosaic was not exposed in the museum of Subway and with a lack of information no one knows if the panel still exists.

The side walls of the pylons of the central undergroundnarvskaya3 hall are decorated with high-relief depicting people of different occupations (48 panels with 12 recurring theme):

    1. “Artists';
    2. “Farmers”;
    3. “Shipbuilders”;
    4. “Students”;narvskaya5
    5. “Selectors”;
    6. “Subway-builders”;
    7. “The Weavers”;
    8. “Casters”;
    9. “Sailors”;
    10. “Doctors”;
    11. “The Soviet soldiers”;
    12. “Builders”.

To the top

Baltiyskaya

 ” Baltiyskaya ” is a deep column station of St. Petersburg subway. It is located between the stations “Narvskaya” and “Technologeskiy Institute”. The station was  opened on the 15th of November 1955 as part of the initial line of the subway “Avtovo” – ” Ploshad Vosstaniya”. The name derives from the proximity to the train station. Baltiyskaya – is a station of two train stations. The  ground lobby hall is located near the Baltic station, and Warsaw railway station is not far away.

Land constructions

Between the columns of the portico ground pavilion, in a niche behind a colonnade above the doorways there are five bas-reliefs of outstanding Russian naval commanders:

  • Portrait of Admiral Ushakov.
  • Portrait of Admiral Lazarev.
  • Portrait of Admiral VA Kornilov.
  • Portrait of Admiral Nakhimov.
  • Portrait of Admiral Makarov.

Later I will make a page about all these people (track the news!)To the top

 Underground constructions

The decoration of the station shows power and glory of the Soviet Union as a great naval country. There is an illusion of marine space, which is created by gray-blue walls lined by Ural marbBaltiyskayale. Impression is reinforced when looking at the ceiling. The walls are swollen like a sail. No chandeliers or lamps are seen, light pours out of the eaves from 1200 hidden lamps.

The  props of arches are decorated by semi-columns. Ribbed vault ceiling is bordered by two zigzag blue ribbons, associated with swollen sail. On the door track walls there are installed decorative lattice, with images of the anchor.  baltiyskaya-mosaics

End wall of the central hall is decorated with mosaic underground “1917”, made by the sketch artists in Florentine mosaic technique – drawing was gathered from large pieces of marble and color stones. On the panels you can see the revolutionary sailors of the Baltic Sea, together with the workers and soldiers going to storm the Winter Palace and a silhouette of the cruiser “Aurora” on a background .

Features of the station:

Prior to the opening line they wanted to portray Stalin surrounded by seamen-Baltic Fleet sailors, but the project was abolished. Also the architects wanted to put a map of the area with the purpose of showing the part of the Baltic Sea in Leningrad, that was not implemented, too.To the top

Technologeskiy Institute

Description of station:

“Technological Institute” –was the first in the USSR (and the only in St. Petersburg) station with rewiring (commutating) ways: the trains of the two lines come in one room, for an interchange of lines the passanger should cross the platform to another side. For going in the opposite direction the passenger needs to go to another hall (you can see the examples of interchanging there).

The station is located between the stations “Baltiyskaya” and “Pushkinskaya”, as well as the 2nd line between the stations “Sennaya Ploshad’” and “Frunzenskaya”. This is the biggest station of the initial subway line. M2 M1

The station consists of two halls, the first of which was opened in the 15th of November 1955 as part of the first subway line “Avtovo” – “Ploshad’ Vosstaniya.” It was named due to the location of ground lobby is located in the vicinity of the Institute of Technology. The Office of St. Petersburg Underground is located in the same building.

 The first hall

The main material used for the decoration of the station was ural marble. Technogichesky_Institut

Initially, in the central space of platform hall, between the columns (in the “round room”), the walls were decorated with medallions of “luminaries of science” – Marx, Engels, Lenin and Stalin. During the transition  construction the bas-reliefs of Friedrich Engels and Joseph Stalin were taken away  (now they are displayed  in the St. Petersburg Museum of subway) and two others  (of Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin) remained there. Besides being decorated by the bas-reliefs, the station is ornamented with wreaths of laurel and palm branches which are considered to be symbols of science. In the center of the arch of the round hall there is a small multicolored stained glass window simulating the surface. The columns of the underground hall  have 24 bas-reliefs of outstanding  Russian and Soviet scientists.

The main theme of design is the achievements of Russian and Soviet science.

Here is a list of the most world-famous persons depicted in the bas-reliefs:

  • Michurin (1855-1935) – biologist
  • Bekhterev (1857-1927) – physician
  • Timiryazev (1843-1920) – scientist
  • Mechnikov (1845-1916) – biologist
  • Popov (1859-1905) – physicist
  • Yablochkov (1847-1894) – Electrical engineer
  • Maclay (1846-1888) – the ethnographer
  • Pirogov (1810-1881) – surgeon
  • Lobachevsky (1792-1856) – mathematician
  • Mikhail Lomonosov (1711-1765) – the first Russian scientist naturalist of world importance, the poet.
  • Przhevalsky (1839-1888) – Russian traveler and naturalist.
  • Kovalevskaya (1850-1891) – Russian mathematician and engineer.
  • Konstantin Tsiolkovsky (1857-1935) – Russian scientist theorist and researcher, founder of modern astronautics.
  • Mendeleev (1834-1907) – an outstanding Russian chemist.

When constructing transitions, along with reliefs Engels and Stalin, the following bas-reliefs were removed:

  • Favorsky (1860-1945) – Russian and Soviet chemist.
  • A.N.Krylov (1863-1945) – Russian and Soviet naval.

 P.s. Later I will make a page about all these people (track the news!)

 Second hall

The second hall in contrary to the first, has a simple, functional style (it was built in the years of lack of excesses). The platforms of stations are decorated simply, with marble walls of the pylons and the track walls – black and white tile with a strip of gray granite on the top.

The photo is taken from http://vadimboyarkin.ru/Metro/?id=4&idc=4. I recomend you to have a look at all the photos on that website!
The photo is taken from http://vadimboyarkin.ru/Metro/?id=4&idc=4. I recomend you to have a look at all the photos on that website!

Marble pylons are decorated with chronological inscriptions on the achievements of Soviet science and technology. The Chronicle is conducted from 1920 to 1979.

The list of accomplishments published on the station (I’ve added world famous ones)

  • 1934: The Soviet scientists first developed the theory of chain reactions.
  • 1937: There was first Soviet drifting station in the Arctic.
  • 1938: Exploration of the Great Northern Sea Route
  • 1953: High-speed electronic computers were created in the Soviet Union.
  • 1954: The first-ever nuclear power plant gave current.
  • 1955: jet passenger planes were created in the USSR.
  • 1957: Soviet Union launched the world’s first artificial earth satellite.
  • 1958: In the USSR the world’s largest synchrophasotron became operational. The first Soviet automatic factory was also built.
  • 1959: The Soviet space rocket reached the surface of the moon. the world’s first nuclear-powered icebreaker “Lenin” was built. Soviet missil photographed an invisible side of the Moon.
  • 1960: In the USSR, the world’s first artificial diamonds were produced. The invention and the beginning of the technical development of optical quantum generators lasers. The first ships with hydrofoils were created In the USSR.
  • 1961: Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin made a space flight In the 12th of April for the first time in the world.
  • 1965: Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov made the first spacewalk ever.
  • 1969: the world’s first set of continuous steel casting was created and developed In the USSR.
  • 1970: For the first time in the history a Soviet self-propelled vehicle “Lunokhod-1″ was delivered to the moon. For the first time in the history the Soviet automatic station brought back to Earth the lunar soil.
  • 1971: The launch of the first Soviet scientific long-term orbital station “Salyut”.
  • 1977: The Soviet nuclear-powered icebreaker “Arktika” for the first time in the history of navigation reached the North Pole.To the top

Pushkinskaya

“Pushkinskaya” – St. Petersburg metro station. It is situated  between the stations “Technologicheskiy Institute ” and “Vladimirskaya”.

It was named due to the proximity of the Vitebsky station (ex. Tsarskoye Selo), that was connecting St. Petersburg with city of Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo), where the famous poet Aleksandr Pushkin lived and studied in the Lyceum from 1811 to 1817  (later Pushkin lived in Tsarskoye Selo in 1831). Originally the  clearance of a  station was planned to be devoted to  the construction of the Tsarskoye Selo Railway, the first in Russia In the final project the subject changed — the station became entirely devoted to the great Russian poet, and now it is considered to be one of the most beautiful in the Petersburg subway.

Attention:

On December 1, 2013 the station lobby Pushkinskaya-zvenigorodskayawas closed for repairs for a major overhaul of the oblique stroke and-swap escalators. For an entrance and exit of the station passengers should use a lobby of the 5th line station Zvenigorodskaya that is connected with “Pushkinskaya” by an interchange pedestrian tunnels. Opening of a Pushkinskaya station lobby after repair is planned on 30th of June 2015 year (keep track on the news).

Land constructions

The lobby includes:

  • The central circular room, the ceiling of which is decorated with a stucco molding.
  • There is a square hall, separated from the central circular hall big arch, located above the escalator rise. Above an inclined course There is a bas-relief medallion with a profile image of Pushkin on the wall of that hall.
Underground constructions pushkinskaya

Pylons are faced with white marble,  floor is lined with dark red granite. On the edge of the red granite there is a tiled pattern of black and white stone. The station is illuminated by black metal light fixtures with crystal bowls which are standing in the niches. Lamps are decorated with gilded stylized shields, spears and other finishing details.

At the end face of the central underground hall there is a statue of Pushkin made by Anikushin (the author of Pushkin monument placed on the Arts Square). Behind the statue there  is a panel of artist M. Engelke representing a part  of “Tsarskoye Selo” park. The panel is illuminated from below by fluorescent lamps. Thanks to soft, matte colors, illumination and an arrangement of separate parts of composition everyone has the feeling of standing not at the end of the station, but in front of attractive park.

The floor of passes on platforms is laid out by granite with the simple tile of light color around it. pushkinskaya-2

On the track walls of platforms there are seen tiles of two colors: the bottom – black, top – white; there are also the doors with decorative lattices marked as “1955” (the station was opened in 1956, but for the stations of the first line the same lattices were made in advance). Platforms are lit with small graceful chandeliers. Two chandeliers were removed from a ceiling over the platform in a place of underpass to “Zvenigorodskaya” station and put in underpass.To the top

Features of the station:
  • The station is considered to be the first memorial in the underground of the USSR. The first underground monument was installed here. Besides, this monument — not the only monument to Pushkin in St. Petersburg subway (the second monument is located at the station “Chernaya Rechka”).
  • The length of “Pushkinskaya” – “Technologicheskiy institute” haul is about 780 meters. This is one of the shortest spans in St. Petersburg subway.
  • This is the only St. Petersburg subway station, which is not connected to the train station building that is located nearby. To get to Vitebskiy train station, you need to get out of the station hall (when it is open).
Transfer to another line

M5The station is an interchange node to trains of the 5th line (the station “Zvenigorodskaya”).

Vladimirskaya

 Vladimirskaya is the station of pylon type. It is situated between the stations “Pushkinskaya” and ” Ploshad Vosstaniya”. The station was opened November 15, 1955 as part of the first subway line “Avtovo” – “Ploshad Vosstaniya”. The name is explained by Vladimirskaya Square and Vladimirsky Avenue located nearby.

Vladimirskaya

 All underground hall is revetted with white Ural marble, harmonizes well with bronze decoration items. The dark granite floor and massive chandeliers contrast with a white smooth surface of walls. The track walls are also covered with marble.

Station lobby faced with golden-yellow marble. The bPlenitude-mosaicsuilding of a ground entrance closely adjoins walls of the Kuznetchniy market, that defined the subject of a bright mosaic panel “Plenitude”.

Features of the station:
  • The length of haul “Vladimirskaya” – “Ploshad’ Vosstaniya” is 720 meters. This is the shortest stage in Petersburg subway.
  • In 1991 for creating a transfer to another line the central hall was extended a little due to wrecking of the service premises occupying earlier part of lateral halls of station. As a result of reconstruction end faces of lateral halls look is absolutely unlike the main part of station: the main part of station is revetted with marble and lit with lamps with a yellowish range, and end faces of platforms are painted in a simple way and lit with luminescent tubes.
Transfer to another line

M4The station is an interchange node to trains of the 4th line (station “Dostoevsky”).To the top

 Ploshad’ Vosstaniya

Ploshad Vosstaniya – station of pylon type, was opened November 15, 1955 as part of the first subway line “Avtovo” – “Ploshad Vosstaniya”. It was named due to the location – the Uprising Square (in Russian “Площадь Восстания”).

Due to the fact that the first stations were planned to have  separate lobbies with domes, the appearance of the lobbyPloshad Vosstaniya of this station  resembles a temple (by the way, earlier there was Znamenskaya Church (of the Sign) located on the site of the vestibule, and the square was also known as Znamenskaya  (of the Sign). Later it was renamed Uprising Square in honor of the revolt of 1917). The building, which is considered to be one of the symbols of St. Petersburg subway has a rotunda with a spire that was crowned with a star in a laurel wreath since the construction. A month before the opening of a monument to the Uprising Square, also crowned by a star, a star on the steeple of the metro station was replaced by the letter “M” (meaning , “Metro”). Later, the letter disappeared.

Central Hall

The theme of underground hall – October armed Uprising in 1917.Central hall of Ploshad Vosstaniya

On the pylons of the central underground hall in interchange between the escalator and exit to the Moscow Railway Station there are four bas-reliefs:

  • “Speech of Lenin at the Tauride Palace”. Sculptor A.I. Dalinenko (contains the only remaining image of Stalin in St. PetDSC00167ersburg)
  • “V. Lenin at the shelter at Sestroretzkiy Razliv (the lake) “. Sculptor V.B. Pinchuk
  • “Shot of “Aurora””. Sculptor A. Razumovsky
  • “Storming of the Winter Palace”. Sculptor V.I. Tatarovich

 DSC00171 DSC00172DSC00168

The  platforms

The track walls are decorated with the same red maLooks greatrble and decorative plaster cornices, like the rest part of the station. In the lower part of the walls there is the black strip of tiles, the same as in the rest of the first stations of the line. On the doors of the track walls there were decorative lattice with the number “1955” (the year of opening the station). You will see the photo reading about another station. Ploshad Vosstaniya The platforms are illuminated by richly decorated chandeliers, which are covered by Soviet symbols: hammer and sickle, and five-pointed stars.

Features of the station:
  • The length of haul “Vladimirskaya” – “Ploshad’ Vosstaniya” is 720 meters. This is the shortest stage in Petersburg subway.
  • Ploshad’ Vosstaniya is the St. Petersburg’s first station with two exits. The second ground lobby is built in the building of the Moscow station (which is very convenient – if you are going to the station by subway, you can go underground practically to the entrance of the station. You can read more about changing the lines). So, if you Stairs to the exitare going to the part of the station where you see the elevator – that is an exit to Ploshad Vosstaniya Square and Nevsky prospect, if you are going to the stairs – there you will find the exit to Ligovskiy prospect, Moscow Station, a big shopping mall Galeria. See it on the map below.

503111947FB00010_Leonardo_D

Transfer to another line

M3The station is an interchange hub to trains of the green line to the station “Mayakovskaya”. I advise you to have a look at this station by using the transfer escalator in the center of the hall (you can read more about the station in the article of the 3rd line of the subway) To the top

2 thoughts on “Petersburg subway. The 1-st line”

  1. Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular basis, this website is really nice and the visitors are
    in fact sharing good thoughts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>