Here you can see traditional Russian, Ukrainian, Caucasian, East Asian food and drinks that you can buy in St. Petersburg’s shops.
I would highly recommend you using the free Apple app for off-line translation of all the signs. It is very helpful for tourists.
- salted (солёные/солёный)/ freshly salted (малосольный)/ pickled or marinated (маринованные) vegetables
- zucchini spread – кабачковая икра (икра из кабачков)
- eggplant spread – баклажанная икра (икра из баклажан)
- Black rye bread – ржаной хлеб (Бородинский хлеб is the tastiest one among others). It matches cheese, pates, butter and salt (yes, a very plain combination) and goes well on its own!
- Any types of small pies (пирожок – single, пирожки – plural), big pies – Osetian ones (Осетинские), Russian pies
- Russian bagels (there are different types of them: бублик, баранка),
- gingerbread, called пряники, of various types (they do not always have ginger – the stuffings and ingredients differ)
- hard chucks- сухари, crackers-сушки, cookies – печенье
2nd course meals
dumplings- пельмени, manti -манты (if you forgot the meaning, check the East Asian food article)
- herring -селёдка, sprats – шпроты ,
- red caviar – красная икра (recall the information from the shopping article)
Buckwheat, called гречка or гречневая крупа
Personally, I do not recommend buying the salads in the shops. I do not mean that they will be bad, old or containing something unhealthy, but if you really want to try the salads, it is better to order that in the restaurants – you will be more sure about the quality and freshness (that is about all the salads with mayonaise – most of the salads contain mayo).
You can try sauerkraut, if you wish – it should be ok!
Mustard – горчица, horseradish- хрен – they have very saturated taste there, usually eaten with Russian dumplings
Georgian sauses – to recall them in memory, please, check the article about Caucasian food.
Russian sweets – конфеты, the most famous ones are: toffee, candy Pigeon milk- “конфеты птичье молоко“, different types with wafers: I prefer Мишка на Севере.
Russian chocolate- шоколад (I hope that you know that Russian bitter chocolate is one of the best in the world). I prefer buying it in specialised shops of chocolate factory Krupskaya (the website is stated in a shopping article).
Glazed cheese cake – Сырок глазированный (they can be plain or with different sweet stuffings), use the Word Lens app to understand the ingredients =)
Halva – халва (the most popular types are of sunflower -подсолнечная, peanut- арахисовая or combined). It can be also glazed in the form of sweets, which is also very tasty (the most popular producer of glazed halva sweets is “Рот фронт”, looks like this ).
Dairy Ice cream – сливочное мороженое. As far as I know the brands “Петрохолод” and “Как раньше” make good icecream in the icecream cones.
Condensed milk – сгущённое молоко or сгущёнка - a very tasty product, usually used with pancakes, white bread, with coffee and even plain (by the sweet tooth). It can be plain or with cocoa =)
Honey- мёд (I would recommend you buying that product in a chain of specialised shops, stated in a shopping article). Honey can be solid (in honeycombs) and liquid.
cottage cheese of different fat content – творог
sour cream -сметана (is used as a topping for pancakes, Russian soups)
beverages (see below)
- mors, berry-drink (usually made of cranberry) -морс,
- kefir – кефир, fermented baked milk – ряженка,
- mead- медовуха (i recommend trying it in a special honey shop),
- Georgian wine.